Stefan Engelhorn Fellowship in the Busch Reisinger Museum, Cambridge, MA
Harvard Art Museums, Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA, September 3, 2019 - August 31, 2021
Application deadline: Apr 12, 2019
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Under the supervision of Lynette Roth, Daimler Curator of the Busch-Reisinger Museum, the Curatorial Fellow researches 70 sketchbooks by German artist Otto Piene. A major recent gift to the Busch-Reisinger, the largely unpublished sketchbooks – made between 1935 and 2014 – were a generative site for Piene’s material experimentation and visionary large-scale projects: interdisciplinary, cross-media experiments, realized and unrealized, in the Boston area and around the world.
• Assist with a broad range of other curatorial activities, including preparation of collection gallery installations and interpretive materials, cataloguing of the permanent collection in the Art Museums’ database, assistance with new acquisitions and donor cultivation.
• Foregrounding the museum’s teaching and research mission, the Curatorial Fellow also helps provide content expertise and support for the Art Museums’ Art Study Center by supporting classes and individual appointments, participates in a series of art handling workshops, and contributes to a rich offering of public and academic interpretive programs across various platforms. Fellow will be an active member of the Fellows’ cohort intellectually and socially and contribute to a final group project, likely in the form of a Fellows colloquium.
• The Fellow may supervise students and temporary employees.
Candidates must meet the following basic qualifications in order to be considered for this position:
MA in Art History or related field.
• PhD strongly preferred
• Demonstrated interest in the art of German-speaking countries
• Proficiency in German preferred
• Commitment to fostering the appreciation of works of art in a museum context
• Excellent organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills; ability to work independently as well as collegially
• Curatorial or related experience
A complete application includes a letter of interest, résumé or curriculum vitae, transcript, English-language writing sample, and three letters of recommendation. Complete applications will be reviewed beginning April 12, 2019 until the position is filled.
1. Please apply online with letter and curriculum vitae at http://hr.harvard.edu/search-jobs. Please upload transcript, and one article-length, English-language writing sample.
2. Please ask references to send letters of recommendation to the following address: am_moderncontemporaryharvard.edu (please note that the letters of reference will be verified).
JOB: Stefan Engelhorn Fellowship in the Busch Reisinger Museum, Cambridge, MA. In: ArtHist.net, Feb 8, 2019 (accessed Jul 19, 2019), <https://arthist.net/archive/20126>.