CFP: 'ILM 2016: Science, Religion and Art in Islam (Adelaide, 21-23 Jul 16)
Adelaide, Australia, July 21 - 23, 2016
Deadline: Dec 15, 2015
The ‘Ilm 2016 conference in Adelaide (Australia) presents an opportunity, at the national and international levels, to examine the concept of “knowledge” in the Islamic culture in order to explore and generate innovative perspectives on its role in science, religion, and the arts. It invites reflections on and discussions of the idea of ‘ilm and its role in pre-, early-, and post-modern Islamic culture, and, more importantly, how it is engaged and experienced by Muslim communities today. What are its practices, territories, and histories? How does it continue to shape Islam’s past, present, and future within the Muslims’ lands and beyond?Main Themes
The conference will focus on three broad topics: ‘ilm as science, ‘ilm as religion, and ‘ilm as art.
Researchers, artists, designers, and architects are invited to submit proposals for two types of contributions:
1. Paper: 300-word summary, outlining clearly the topic, main argument, and sources to be used. Please include email address and 50-word biography.
2. Poster: A4 mock-up (portrait) presenting visual commentary on a selected theme. The final poster size is A1 (portrait) with 500-800-word exposition. A 200-word summary of the exposition should be submitted with the mock-up.
Proposals: 15 December 2015 – 300 words / A4 posters
Selection: 15 January 2016
Papers/posters: 15 June 2016 – 2500 words / A1 posters
Conference 21-23 July 2016
Organisers & Contacts
- Professor Samer Akkach, Founding Director, Centre for Asian and Middle Eastern Architecture (CAMEA), the University of Adelaide, Australia (samer.akkachadelaide.edu.au)
- Professor Sahar Amer, Chair, Department of Arabic Language and Cultures, The University of Sydney, Australia (sahar.amersydney.edu.au)
- Dr Sam Bowker, School of Communication and Creative Industries, Charles Sturt University, Australia (sbowkercsu.edu.au)
All inquiries should be directed to Perri Sparnon: perri.sparnonadelaide.edu.au
CFP: 'ILM 2016: Science, Religion and Art in Islam (Adelaide, 21-23 Jul 16). In: ArtHist.net, Oct 15, 2015 (accessed Sep 18, 2019), <https://arthist.net/archive/11265>.