Faculty of Arts and Philosophy
Department Art History, Musicology and Theatre Studies
Professor in Art History, Specialized in the Study of Exhibitions and Display
Apply until 16/05/2019 23:59 (Brussels time)
Discipline: Art History, Specialized in the Study of Exhibitions and Display
100% Assistant professor tenure track
Reference number: 201902/LW/ZAP/001
ABOUT GHENT UNIVERSITY
Ghent University is one of the most important education and research institutions in the Low Countries. On a daily basis, over 9,000 staff members and 41,000 students implement its motto "Dare to Think". Ghent University's mission statement is characterised by qualitative education, internationally renowned research and a pluralistic social responsibility.
The Department of Art History, Musicology and Theatre Studies recruits candidates in the domain of Art History, specialized in the Study of Exhibitions and Display. The Department seeks to complement its existing expertise.
The focus should include:
- exhibition (display) as primary medium for public communication of art
- study about historical forms of exhibition and presentation in relation to innovative contemporary developments (including internet, interactive arts, virtual and augmented reality)
The Department wants high-level and innovative research profiles based on interdisciplinary "art & science" approaches (including collaboration with the artistic domain).
You will be required to teach courses within the Art History programme, including the Research seminar in the Master’s programme, and introductory and methodological courses at Bachelor level.
You are expected to contribute to the development of innovative didactical forms in BA and MA education.
You develop research related to the domain of the Study of Exhibitions and Display
You involve the KROOK (Art and Science Interaction Lab) and GUM (Ghent University Museum), using VANDENHOVE (Centre for Architecture and Art) as core laboratory for research and innovation.
You provide internal and external services to the department of Art History, Musicology and Theatre Studies, the Faculty of Arts and Philosophy, and UGent.
- You have already conducted eminent academic research in the given discipline, which is clearly reflected in publications in high-quality academic journals and peer-reviewed books;
- You are capable of initiating, supervising and acquiring the necessary funding for academic research;
- You are didactically skilled to teach university students to develop academic competences;
- You have an active network in the academic world, both in teaching and in the world of museums and art institutions.
- You are willing to learn Dutch, should you not know the language at the time of the application.
- Recommended are:
- International mobility, among other things thanks to research stays at institutions external to the one where you acquired your highest academic degree;
- Positively evaluated experience in provided or organised academic lecturing;
- Professionalisation of education.
- Experience in applying for and acquiring (international) research funding and/or funding for exhibitions.
- Experience in setting up exhibitions in art institutions, at national and international level
- Experience in using new technologies, materials and media in exhibitions
Skills / Attitude
- You are quality-oriented;
- You take initiative;
- You have an interdisciplinary attitude
- You are willing to translate historical and theoretical questions into practical applications (e.g. designing exhibitions)
- You hold a thesis-based doctorate or a diploma or certificate that is recognised as equivalent (article V.20 Codex Higher Education).
Upon evaluation of a foreign (non-EU) diploma, a certificate of equivalence may still have to be requested at NARIC. If this is the case, we advise you to initiate this recognition procedure as soon as possible. You are required to have the recognition no later than on the date of your appointment.
- You have at least two years of postdoctoral experience on 1 oktober 2019. This term of two years is determined by the date written on the above-mentioned required diploma.
- We offer you a temporary appointment in a tenure track system for a term of five years. If positively evaluated by the University Board, the term of office will be transferred into a permanent appointment as an associate professor.
- Should you already be a member of the professorial staff or hold an equal post at another university or research institution, you can immediately be appointed as an assistant professor, without prejudice to the possibility of a temporary appointment offered in article V.28 of the Codex of Higher Education.
The career and evaluation policy for Professorial Staff is based on talent development and growth, prioritizing vision development and strategy - at the personal as well as the group level. At UGent we focus on career support and coaching of the Professorial Staff in the different phases of the career. More information can be found on www.ugent.be/professorialcareer
Ghent University is committed to properly welcoming new professorial staff members and offering them appropriate guidance. The basic teacher training and courses of 'Dutch' and 'English' for foreign-speaking lecturers are only a few examples of our wide range of training and education opportunities. Furthermore, each Ghent University staff member can count on a number of benefits such as a bike allowance, reimbursement of public transport commuting costs, daycare, a wide range of sports facilities and EcoCheques. A complete overview of all our employee benefits (in Dutch).
Ghent University also invests in welcoming international professorial staff. It offers various housing options, a relocation bonus, the International School for school-aged children (with a discount on the tuition fee), support when registering at the City of Ghent, support with the procedure of family reunification and other administrative matters in connection with moving to Ghent. More information can be found on www.ugent.be/en/living and www.ugent.be/en/staff.
The UGent offers each new ZAP-member a research starting grant of 200.000 €.
GENDER AND DIVERSITY
Ghent University conducts an equal opportunities policy and encourages everyone to apply. Ghent University also strives for a gender balance. Female applications are thus especially welcomed.
After the final application date, all received applications will be sent to the faculty assessment committee assembled for this vacancy. This committee will first evaluate the application files. Therefore it will match all elements of the file against the required expertise for the position in terms of education, research and scientific service. Based on this deliberation, relevant candidates will be shortlisted to be invited for further selection (interview, possible presentation or test lecture …). Afterwards, the committee will rank the suitable candidates and present this ranking to the Faculty Board. The advice of the Faculty Board will then be presented to the University Board for approval.
Candidates are asked to further discuss their top 5 most important publications or other academic achievements with the highest impact. Next to academic publications, the candidate is thus also able to show merit of knowledge transfer by academic dissemination, social valorisation, public awareness, seminars or conference presentations. These competences are also taken into account when evaluating the candidates.
The evaluation of the required international mobility is broad and partly takes the gender perspective into account, thus not only considering longer stays abroad by also other forms of internationalisation.
Pregnancy leave, prolonged sick leave, parental leave, filial leave or other forms of absence are taken into account when evaluating the available time for the realisation of academic output.
HOW TO APPLY
Apply online through the e-recruitment system before the application deadline (see above). We do not accept late applications or applications that are not sent through the online system.
Your application must include the following documents:
- In the field ‘Cv’: the professorial staff application form, and a mission statement, merged into one pdf file. The mission statement should contain a research plan and a vision related to research, education and valorization in which you describe how proactive initiatives will be developed in the domain of the Study of Exhibitions and Display. Please describe how the VANDENHOVE center (https://www.ugent.be/vandenhove/nl) can serve as a laboratory for the envisioned research, education and valorization.
- In the field ‘Cover letter’: your application letter in pdf format
- In the field ‘Diploma’: a transcript of your doctoral degree. If you have a foreign diploma in a language other than our national languages (Dutch, French or German) or English, please add a translation in one of the mentioned languages.
- In the field ‘Certificate of equivalence’: only for diplomas awarded outside the European Union: certificate of equivalence (NARIC) (if already in you possession)
Note that the maximum file size for each field is 10 MB.
For further information regarding this vacancy, please contact Professor Marc Leman (Head of Dept.) (Marc.LemanUGent.be, +32 (0)9 2644125) at the faculty of Arts and Philosophy, department Art History, Musicology and Theatre Studies.
JOB: Professor in Art History, Specialized in Exhibitions and Display, Ghent. In: ArtHist.net, Apr 24, 2019 (accessed Feb 26, 2021), <https://arthist.net/archive/20701>.