Research Opportunity - FellowshipSCIENTIFIC AREA OF RESEARCH:
Faculdade de Ciência e Tecnologia (FCT/UNL) and Parques de Sintra -
Monte da Lua, SA (PSML) are looking for an individual to participate in
the project "Stained Glass: A Passion of King Ferdinand II - Assembling
the Puzzle" as a one-year fellow, to be financially supported by the
Portuguese Fundação para a Ciência e Tecnologia. This cooperation will
take place at Pena National Palace in Sintra, Portugal.
This project aims at studying the collection of stained glass assembled
by Ferdinand of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha (1816-1885). It will identify the
commercial network for the consumption of historical stained glass in
the 19th century, it will study the iconography of the panels from this
collection, it will carry chemical characterization of the glass and it
will study the techniques of its production.
The fellow can also expect to work within a museum environment and to be
part of a multitasked and very enthusiastic team.
- To identify and systematize primary sources which are relevant to the
- To update the records of stained glass objects in the Palace's
database to the most recent knowledge.
- He/she will research on primary and secondary sources, published and
unpublished, in Portugal and abroad (a short part of the research may be
conducted in Germany and/or the United Kingdom);
- He/she will develop art historical analysis of the panels of the
collection of Stained Glass of Pena Palace;
- He/she will write texts for the database of the Palace's Collection
according to the results of research.
The Director of Pena National Palace, Sintra
One year fellowship (non-renewable); salary €980/month, starting
- Degree and Master taken in a subject of the Social Sciences or
- Knowledge of written and spoken English (level C1 or higher; TOEFL 90;
- Academic and/or professional experience in Art History;
- Good knowledge of written German;
- Experience in reading and transcribing manuscripts;
- Good knowledge of Christian and Classical iconography.
The application can only be considered complete if all the following
documents are attached:
- Statement of purpose (max. 500 words);
- Full résumé;
- Electronic copies of transcripts from all degrees attended by the
- English language certificate (or proof of residence in an English
speaking country for more than 12 months).
The applicant may attach other documents that may be considered to be
relevant to the process (e.g. German language certificate, workshops
All documentation must be submitted before the deadline to the following
email address: mgvfct.unl.pt
Applications must be submitted before the 15th October 2013.
For more details or enquires, please send an email to mgvfct.unl.pt or
STIP: Research Fellowship (Sintra). In: ArtHist.net, 04.09.2013. Letzter Zugriff 11.08.2022. <https://arthist.net/archive/5803>.