CFP: Time and the Body in Film, Television and Screen Studies (online, 7-9 Apr 21)
University of Southampton ONLINE, April 7 - 09, 2021
Deadline: Dec 1, 2020
Call For Papers: Time and the Body in Film, Television and Screen Studies Conference.
7-9th April 2021.
Hosted online by the University of Southampton Centre for International Film Research (CIFR) and British Association of Film, Television and Screen Studies.
In focusing on time and the body, the conference seeks to bring attention to two elemental components of the physical world, whose manifestation in moving image media is however always dependent upon technological, cultural and artistic determinants.
The conference invites submissions for papers or practice-based research on any aspect of time and/or the body, whether human, social or otherwise, in Film, Television and Screen Studies. These might include:
• how different treatments of time and the body vary according to historical, national or regional context, technology or exhibition space;
• how special visions of time and the body distinguish art and entertainment, helping define different varieties of genre;
• how categories of pleasure and punishment, love and labour, work, class, care, production and reproduction are each experienced; and
• how stardom and performance, action and pace, haptics, spectacle and contemplation, each involve particular understandings of temporal or corporeal properties.
• how time and the body help us rethink the relationship between nature and culture, or contain a political potential in areas as diverse as futurism and nostalgia, biopolitics or ecology, or with regards to how time and the body are gendered, sexed and raced.
The conference welcomes proposals from academics working on the philosophies, theories, art histories and practices of film, television and screen.
Submission guidelines: Proposals for individual papers should be no longer than 300 words, plus presenter’s name, affiliation, email address and a short biography (150 words max). Proposals for workshops and pre-convened panels should include details of individual papers (where relevant), plus a short summary (300 words max) of the session and information about the chair.
Deadline: 01 December 2020.
Late submissions may not be considered.
Email proposals to: baftssconference2021gmail.com
CFP: Time and the Body in Film, Television and Screen Studies (online, 7-9 Apr 21). In: ArtHist.net, Nov 21, 2020 (accessed Nov 24, 2020), <https://arthist.net/archive/23951>.