Curator of Old Masters Pictures, Permanent Position, c. £31,000 to £37,000
As part of a small curatorial team reporting to the Collections and Academic Director, the Curator of Old Masters Pictures will be responsible for the care of the Wallace Collection’s pictures up to 1800, including paintings, drawings and watercolours and miniatures.
The post holder will be required to undertake research into their area of the collection and to develop the Wallace Collection’s reputation as a centre for excellence and scholarship, helping to promote understanding and enjoyment of this Collection and fostering and encouraging the study of Old Master paintings and French 18th-century collecting, arts and culture. The post holder will also be expected to help the Director and the Collections and Academic Director to promote the Wallace Collection’s international status as a great museum and centre for the study of eighteenth-century paintings and decorative arts.
The Curator of Old Masters Pictures will need to have a demonstrable record in the study of paintings with a specialization in one of the strong areas of the Collection. The post-holder will need in particular to have:
- A Ph.D. or an equivalent publication and research record
- An excellent knowledge and understanding of paintings
- A publication record and a love of research
- Excellent written and spoken communications skills
- Fluency in spoken and written English.
- Good knowledge of written and spoken French
- Good knowledge of at least another major European language
- Lecturing experience
- Ability to work as a member of a small team
- The ability to network nationally and internationally
- A conscientious and meticulous approach towards record-keeping
Other desirable qualities:
- Ability to learn quickly on the job
- Cheerful and positive approach to life
For full details of the post and an application form please visit our website, www.wallacecollection.org. Or you can e-mail your name and address to personnelwallacecollection.org or write to the Personnel Manager, The Wallace Collection, Hertford House, Manchester Square, London W1U 3BN.
Closing Date for applications: Friday 12th August 2011
The Wallace Collection is an equal opportunities employer
JOB: Curator of Old Masters Pictures. In: ArtHist.net, Jul 12, 2011 (accessed Dec 1, 2023), <https://arthist.net/archive/1640>.