The J. Paul Getty Museum is pleased to announce “Color on Paper”, a workshop organized in conjunction with the Getty Foundation’s Paper Project initiative devoted to training and professional development for curators of prints and drawings. “Color on Paper” will bring together early and mid-career curators and conservators specialized in works on paper created before 1900 CE with a threefold goal:
1. to support advanced study on the subject of color, advancing ongoing research or laying groundwork for future projects;
2. to provide an opportunity for curators and conservators to work collaboratively and deepen learning about technical art history, its tools, and applications;
3. to further the understanding and interpretation of works on paper.
“Color on Paper” will consist of a series of six virtual seminars throughout the course of 2022 and a week-long residency in Los Angeles in early 2023. Led by international experts, the online seminars will provide participants with foundational knowledge through reading assignments, discussions related to the materiality, function, and meaning of color in works on paper. During the residency, participants will explore Southern California collections of works on paper through the lens of color, attend presentations on interdisciplinary research, and take part in an experiential workshop led by Chicana artist Sandy Rodriguez on pigments and dyes used in indigenous artistic practices.
This workshop has been conceived with an eye to promoting fulsome cross-regional and cross-cultural dialogue among specialists of art created around the globe. To that end, we welcome applications from colleagues with interest and expertise in works on paper from across cultures and geographies.
Travel, accommodation, and meal expenses will be covered by the organizer.
To apply, please submit the following documents to drawingsgetty.edu by January 31, 2022:
- a current CV,
- a brief statement describing research/work and how it would be enriched by this workshop (750 words max.), and
- contact information for one professional reference.
For more information, please contact Casey Lee at caleegetty.edu.
ANN: Color on Paper Workshop (online/Los Angeles, 1 Apr 22-1 Mar 23). In: ArtHist.net, Dec 17, 2021 (accessed May 22, 2022), <https://arthist.net/archive/35562>.