Every two years the Tucher’sche Kulturstiftung and the Germanisches Nationalmuseum award a fellowship to a doctoral candidate for research on a topic in German art and/or cultural history and, if possible, with a connection to the history of the patrician family Tucher. Applications from abroad receive priority.
The fellowship pays a monthly stipend of € 1,500.-- and makes possible a six-month research stay at the Germanisches Nationalmuseum. The earliest possible start date for the next fellowship is 01.06.2023.
While at the Germanisches Nationalmuseum (GNM), the fellow will
- be supported by the museum’s curatorial and research staff,
- will have open access to the museum’s facilities,
- be welcome to participate in the museum’s various events.
Furthermore, they will be involved in the museum’s trainee program.
Prerequisites for a fellowship application are a master’s degree (or equivalent) with high marks, candidacy for a doctoral degree, and a very good and proven knowledge of the German language.
Required application materials (preferably in German):
- Research proposal (3 pages, 1.5 spaced), explaining one’s own interest in the topic, sketching the current state of the questions, describing preliminary work already completed, explaining how a stay at the GNM would advance the dissertation project and how it relates to the von Tucher family.
- Abstract of the research proposal (10–15 lines), which, if the fellowship is awarded, may be posted on the website of the GNM.
- Curriculum vitae, list of publications, study and work certificates (as applicable)
- 2 letters of recommendation
The fellow is required to present their findings at the Germanisches Nationalmuseum and also to present a final report at a meeting of the Tucher’sche Kulturstiftung, to which the Stiftung will invite guests and, as the case may be, the press. Furthermore, they agree to provide both the Germanisches Nationalmuseum and the Tucher’sche Kulturstiftung with a written final report and a copy of the dissertation (paper or electronic).
A travel allowance can be requested from the Tucher’sche Kulturstiftung.
Fellows from abroad must be in possession of a health insurance policy that covers possible costs of medical treatment in the Federal Republic of Germany. Proof of coverage must be submitted before the start of the fellowship period. The fellowship cannot be commenced without health insurance coverage.
A residence permit, if required, must be applied for by the fellow themself. The responsible authority in Nuremberg is the foreigners’ registration office (Ausländerbehörde) in the residents’ registration office. (Contact: Einwohneramt/Ausländerbehörde, Äußere Laufer Gasse 29, 90403 Nürnberg, Tel.: 0911/231-45000; https://www.nuernberg.de/internet/auslaenderbehoerde-/aufenthaltstitel.html)
Please submit applications with the requested materials via e-mail (as a single PDF file) by 01.02.2023 to one of the following addresses:
The decision to award a fellowship lies with the Tucher’sche Kulturstiftung and the Germanisches Nationalmuseum. Applicants have no legal claim to a fellowship.
For questions relating to research: Herr Dr. Markus T. Huber (m.hubergnm.de)
For administrative questions: Frau Rita Wolkersdorfer (r.wolkersdorfergnm.de)
STIP: Tucher-Fellowship, Germanisches Nationalmuseum. In: ArtHist.net, Nov 5, 2020 (accessed Dec 10, 2023), <https://arthist.net/archive/23866>.