CFP: Ages of the Book (Mexico City, 15-19 Oct 2012)
Mexico CIty, October 15 - 19, 2012
Deadline: Jan 31, 2012
Ages of the book International conference
Call for papers
The aim of the conference is to bring together specialists from diverse fields of study, such as written and printed culture, visual design and communication, editing and the publishing industry, history, literature and new technologies, for discussion of academic, scientific, technical and economic issues that will advance our knowledge on the written word throughout history. The conference will explore the wide range of traditions and innovations surrounding the composition of texts manifest in distinct periods and in different regions of the world, from the early production of codices through to present day electronic books.
The organizing committee invites abstract submissions on subjects such as epigraphy, calligraphy and paleography, editorial design, typography, printing processes, ecdotics, textual and graphic editing, electronic publishing and technology applied to editing. Additional topics for consideration are transmission of texts, textual and visual disposition, page design, typography and illustrations in books, text-image relationships, ornamentation, initialing, reading styles and methods, use and management of color in the transmission of texts, usability, design and navigation for screen, e-book interface design and visual ergonomics. The main thematic areas are the manuscript, printed and electronic book.
The conference will take place at the Institute for Bibliographic Studies (Instituto de Investigaciones Bibliográficas), at the Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México (National Autonomous University of Mexico) in Mexico City from the 15th to the 19th of October 2012. The event is organized by the Instituto de Investigaciones Bibliográficas of the Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, the National Library (Biblioteca Nacional de México), the National Newspaper Library (Hemeroteca Nacional de México) and the Fondo de Cultura Económica.
Guidelines for Submissions
1. Submitted abstracts most include the following information:
• Full name of author or authors
• Main theme of the abstract (manuscript book, printed book or electronic book)
• Email of corresponding author
• Personal or institutional address
2. Abstracts should not exceed 500 words, written in Times New Roman, 12 points, double spaced, and accompanied by a brief CV of the author or authors (maximum 10 lines).
3. Abstracts should be sent by email to edadesdellibroiib.unam.mx, as an attachment in either doc, rtf or pdf formats.
4. We accept abstract submissions in Spanish, English or French. Participants will be asked to provide a Spanish translation of their talk so that this can be projected on a screen during their presentation.
The deadline for abstracts is the 31st of January 2012. There will be no extensions. All abstracts will be reviewed by an international committee. Authors will be notified of the results from the 31st of March 2012 and will have until the 31st of May to send their full papers.
For more information please visit: http://www.edadesdellibro.unam.mx
Dra. Marina Garone Gravier
Instituto de Investigaciones Bibliográficas
Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México
Zona Cultural, Ciudad Universitaria
México, D.F., C.P. 04510
Tel.: (+ 52 55) 5622 6999 ext. 48694
CFP: Ages of the Book (Mexico City, 15-19 Oct 2012). In: H-ArtHist, Oct 26, 2011 (accessed Apr 24, 2014), <http://arthist.net/archive/2128>.