CFP: Cultural Literacy & Cosmopolitan Conviviality (Lisbon, 9-11 May 19)
Lisbon, Faculty of Human Sciences, Universidade Católica Portuguesa, May 9 - 11, 2019
The first biennial Cultural Literacy in Europe Conference took place in London in April 2015; the second in Warsaw in 2017. We are now pleased to announce the Call for Papers for the third Biennial Conference, to be held at the Universidade Católica Portuguesa (Lisbon) in May 2019.
This Conference will address modes of conviviality that cultures may have resisted, promoted or facilitated down the ages and especially in the present. It will reflect upon the role and effects of cultural literacy in different media, in the shaping of today’s politics and global economy. As a potent tool for spreading ideas and ideologies, cultural literacy helps shape world-views and social attitudes in indelible ways that need further investigation.
You are invited to submit a proposal for a 20-minute paper (or for a panel of three 20-minute papers) on any area of the conference topic. Proposals should consist of: title, an abstract (max. 300 words), a mini-biography (max 100 words), plus your name, affiliation and email address. Send this to mlopesfch.lisboa.ucp and n.segalbbk.ac.uk by the deadline of Wednesday 30 November 2018.
PAPERS ON ANY OF THE FOLLOWING – OR ALLIED – TOPICS ARE WELCOME
- Art in conflict/ conflict solving
- Art mediation, social criticism and change
- Conviviality and translation
- Conviviality in artistic practice
- Cultures of place, cultures of displacement and replacement
- Digital literacy: changes and challenges
- Memory and cultures of conviviality
- Migration, diversity and cultural literacy
- Multilingualism and power
- Reading through textuality, fictionality, rhetoricity and/or historicity
- Representations and ethics of conviviality, hospitality, cosmopolitanism
Paul Gilroy (Kings College London), Boaventura de Sousa Santos (University of Coimbra),
Sowon Park (University of California Santa Barbara), Ahmet Öğüt
Early bird fee (by 1 Feb 2019) Full fee (2 Feb - 29 March)
Standard €160 Standard €200
Students (+ ID)/ Unwaged €100 Student (+ ID)/ Unwaged €150
The registration fee includes coffee breaks, lunch, and all conference documentation.
Prior membership of CLE is required; see http://cleurope.eu/membership/
CFP: Cultural Literacy & Cosmopolitan Conviviality (Lisbon, 9-11 May 19). In: ArtHist.net, 11.10.2018. Letzter Zugriff 16.02.2019. <https://arthist.net/archive/19204>.