Postdoctoral Research Fellowship (University of York)
University of York, November 1, 2015 - June 1, 2016
Application deadline: Feb 21, 2016
Postdoctoral Research Fellowship Writing Competition 2016
The Department of History of Art at the University of York is delighted to announce The Independent Research Fellowship Writing Competition for 2016. We are eager to attract talented, accomplished, and imaginative researchers who are building a career in art history to work with us.
We invite expressions of interest and applications from researchers wishing to apply for any postdoctoral research fellowship scheme, including the Marie Skłodowska-Curie Individual Fellowships, British Academy, Paul Mellon, Henry Moore Postdoctoral Fellowships.
The Independent Research Writing Prize provides early career researchers with a stimulating and supportive environment to develop a postdoctoral fellowship application of the highest order. The fellowship must be held in the Department of History of Art at the University of York.
The Postdoctoral Research Fellowship Writing Competition in conjunction with the Department of History of Art at York offers:
- The opportunity to be part of an energetic department top ranked for research.
- Specialist research expertise across a wide range of fields, including religious art, architectural history and theory, sculpture studies, gender and sexuality, fashion and dress, adornment, and stained glass, with experts in periods from early medieval to contemporary. The diversity of approaches that colleagues in the department are developing is as varied as they are. They enter into productive dialogue within the Department through collaboration of all kinds, ranging from major externally financed research projects to informal exploratory workshops.
- Opportunities to develop interdisciplinary, multidisciplinary or transdisciplinary projects across the visual arts and with colleagues in other departments with which we have strong links, such as History, and English. We are eager to develop links with Theatre, Film & TV, Computer Science & Electronics, Linguistics, Philosophy, Music, Sociology, Women’s Studies and beyond.
- Experienced mentorship and the opportunity to develop skills and experience of value in academia and beyond.
- A supportive and friendly working environment.
Postdoctoral Research Fellowship Writing Competition Deadlines:
- 2 Nov 2015: Writing competition opened
- 21 Feb 2016: Deadline for receipt of application forms and curriculum vitae. Candidates are strongly advised to work in close collaboration well before this date with members of faculty in the Department at York to develop their application
- 22 Feb-7 Mar 2016: Shortlisting by faculty members at York
- 7 March 2016: Shortlisting decision confirmed and announced as soon as possible thereafter
- 8-10 June 2016: Working Party at York. Successful candidates will be invited to campus to work up their applications with leading art historians
- Early September 2016 on: Postdoctoral Research Fellowship deadlines
The application process is simple.
Please complete the application form (HoA Postdoc Writing Application Form (MS Word , 13kb)) and send it with your c.v. to Professor Helen Hills (helen.hillsyork.ac.uk). Once we have received this, Professor Hills will put you in touch with the most appropriate and relevant members of faculty in the department. You are strongly encouraged to work with them on improving your final application to be submitted before midnight 21 February 2016.
We will select the best applicants (up to a maximum of 6), who will be invited to campus for a Working Party (intensive two-day workshops) 8-10 June to develop their applications with leading art historians. You will be expected to submit your application to the relevant institution. And the best application achieved as a result of that process – judged by us – will receive an award of £1000.
We will meet travel costs up to £200 economy fare within Europe and up to £400 from beyond Europe. Accommodation for two nights, working lunch and dinner will be provided at York for the Working Party.
STIP: Postdoctoral Research Fellowship (University of York). In: ArtHist.net, Oct 30, 2015 (accessed Sep 18, 2019), <https://arthist.net/archive/11388>.